Monday, September 21, 2009

That would be all

(This column appears in today's edition of the Leyte-Samar Daily Express)

Hi there! It’s another long weekend. First things first: Today we join our Muslim brothers and sisters in the observance of Eidl’l Fitr.

* * *

So, this is the last day of yet another long weekend for all of us. This time it’s in observance of the end of Ramadan, the actual name of it is something which many of us had a hard time pronouncing, much less memorizing. Anyway, many years ago, it was a different scenario. Yup it’s about the proclamation of martial law; and I’m sad ‘coz I’m once again reminded that I’m old coz I have some recollection of how it was on those days, at least on the lighter said – if I may be permitted to put it that way. I remember my college days when then President Marcos would declare this day (via Presidential Decree, of course) as Thanksgiving Day and at some point as National Day of Prayer or something to that effect (to raised eyebrows, I suppose). During one of those declarations a radio announcer, ever like every the Filipino who can make something light out of any situation there is, was quick to say sa lahat ng presidential decree ni Macoy (Marcos), eto ang walang kokontra (referring to the decree declaring a holiday). And the announcer went on to ask what was there to thank for on the supposedly Thanksgiving Day. It was 1984 and we all know how it was by then.

* * *

Sports Forum at DepEd DepEd Calbayog in coordination with the City Government held a Sports Forum last Friday at the DepEd Conference Hall.

This event was attended by youth leaders from the various barangays of Calbayog. Messages were delivered by Councilor Rey James Uy, SDS Edita Paculan and ASDS Angelo Gelera. Mr. Ubadlo Diomangay, Division PESS Supervisor gave the PESS Supervisor's Report.

After the program preliminaries, there an open forum and action planning was held. The program was hosted by Mr. Ramon Miano.

* * *

What is your think?; Tawaga ak nga doktor!; It’s nice to see you all here in this meeting… we coordinate with the senate… – said this way: It’s nice tu si you ul hir in dis mitingwi kuurdinit wid da sinit … These are but some of the memorable lines which serve as my homage to some of the doctors in Calbayog. Nope not the medical doctors, but the doctors who treat or develop minds of students in school. Yes, those kinds of doctors.

So what about them? Wala lang. It’s my introduction to yet another homage, this time to beauty contest candidates, at least the ones who have joined the local beauty pageant which I have been hosting for the past so many years. And that leads me to today’s title. By the way just in case you’d be interested. I always say this line each time the interview portion comes during the pageant: We people are fond of holding beauty pageants. Mag para pa-beauty contest, tapos hulton an interview portion, hultun magsala an kandidata, tamayun, tapus pagparaplakahun. I always manage to make the audience laugh with those lines. An admission perhaps?

Anyway, there is one thing I noticed with the contestants. Whether they were able to answer the question or not; if ever they did answer, whether with was with any sense or not, they no longer ended it not with a courteous thank you, but just that – that would be all (how do I qualify that line? Imperious?). I don’t know but I feel uneasy about that line. I found so impolite. Was if for more courage? Well it’s never easy facing a crowd, a hostile one if I may add. Or maybe to get back at the audience for maybe being just that hostile? Or maybe that the new breed that of personality that beauty contestants holders would like to come up with. Yup, on top of having many contestants walking and acting like badings onstage when the big night comes. As to the latter, who do we blame that for?

That would be all. How about saying that in a job interview?

* * *

This is it for now. Have a nice week everyone! Ciao!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Touch a blogger: Tie a yellow ribbon for Cory Aquino!

Followers