Monday, September 28, 2009

my world this weekend

(This column appears in today's edition of the Leyte-Samar daily Express)

Hi there! It’s another week. And we have another reason to be thankful to the Almighty, once again we were spared from a typhoon which reminded a good number of pinoys of milenyo. As I wrote this, ANC was airing various calls for help from stranded residents.

So, PGMA decided to let go of her trip and opted for the one which brought her to Saudi Arabia; and brought home a good number of stranded Filipinas. Talk about travel with a substance. That trip certainly made the President look good, I’d like to think so anyway. More importantly, it highlighted the plight of a good number of our unlucky kababayans. It’s time for many among us to stop thinking that working abroad means picking money on the street thus we ask for practically anything under the sun. On the other hand, I think it was a reminder for the President and all concerned officials to work harder (so sorry for the term), the economy is doing good, but sadly hindi pa gaanong ramdam ng masa, so many are still leaving.

* * *

Talking about being in New York (or being far from it). It is a hassle to be in the big apple this time of the year - the U.N. Assembly Opening season; or so my cousin said. What with security all over the place, barricaded streets, walking for so many blocks, and the like. And yes, I guess it was a good thing for the President to let go of New York this time. Well, ‘twas Obama who was the news (as expected) and well, some few surprises, like the Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad appearing super cool; and surprise, surprise! Libya’s Muammar Qadhafi and his 1 hour and 36 minutes address. Let’s focus on the Libyan President. After seeing some footages of his U.N. performance, I was tempted to say “where were you when we needed you most”. Nope, I was not referring to the President, where was Kanye West when Qadhafi was speaking?

And what’s this? A news item at yahoo site reported that the IRS is attempting to stop tax deduction for those who donate their homes to the Fire Department. Whew, these American certainly know how to do it, I mean rake cash in. They get free demolition and get as much as 287 grand in cash. Whew! Well, that’s something we will never see in the Philippines.

And here’s what I got from Jay Leno’s show. His take on the latest ACORN controversy in the U.S.: when you deal with prostitutes and politicians, somebody will get screwed!

And on the local front: Madam! I hope I did not hear it right, but I think you said that the martial law years were the golden years? Of what?

* **

The CKC - Jose Gomez Orchestra is off to Manila on October 25 – 29, 2009 for a series of concerts. They will be performing at the following venues:
  • October 26, 2009: Our Lady of the Abandoned Parish Church Panaderos Street Sta. Ana, Manila.
  • October 27, 2009:Sanctuario De San Padro Bautista Church (San Pedro Bautista St., San Francisco Del Monte,Quezon City.
  • October 28, 2009:Saint Anthony Shrine Manrique St., Sampaloc, Manila
All engagements will start at 6:00 pm. Tickets will be available at the door. Proceeds of the concerts will be for the scholarship fund of the orchestra members and for the procurement of additional instruments.

* * *

And yes, I wrote this column on a Saturday and it’s that weekend I’m referring to in today’s title. I wrote this while heavy wind (thanks to Ondoy) was blowing, with the occasional rains drenching the street, new reports about world leaders and ANC reporting the heavy floods in Manila. Most importantly, I was updated on the project currently going on at the Cathedral. They did not actually stop it, but I understand the Bishop will be meeting (this afternoon) with some concerned parishioners and local historians regarding the undertaking. I’ll keep you posted. And that explains for the absence of my acerbic comments on anything I could lay my focus and ears (not necessarily my eyes) on. (Smile! It’s a new week!)

* * *

Belated birthday greetings to tita Emmy (Abasolo). She turned a year older last Saturday.

* * *

This is it for now. Have a nice week everyone! Ciao!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Touch a blogger: Tie a yellow ribbon for Cory Aquino!

Followers