Hi there! It’s another weekend. I understand it happened about 2 weeks ago when the poll body finally gave the go-signal for the Ang Ladlad and other partylist groups to be part of the forthcoming polls. Suddenly I saw pink all over the place. And thus today’s title.
It’s the same title of my column which appeared in the August 22, 2008 edition of this paper. It’s not that I was feeling kinda nostalgic about my days in U.P. wherein among the memorable moments I’ve got (read: opposite to the memories of the dreaded anatomy and microbiology classes) was one article in the Philippine Collegian entitled just that (I mean today’s title). Do I hear someone telling gays to rejoice? Let’s face it, for most people pink lingo is more often than not referred to as just that – gay – and therefore should remain in the pink world which most people would refer to as nothing different to a world characterized by being unconventional which many simply refer to as abnormal. But on the other hand, pink is all over the place. And let us not even start discussing about the pink peso. Don’t worry, I am not in the mood to promote the pink world today.
As I stated earlier, I just remembered this article upon reading about the poll body approving Danton Remoto’s group. I met Danton Remoto a few years ago when we were guests at Jullie Yap Daza’s late night talk-show in ABS-CBN. Surely, the guy can talk and not to mention having the brains. Back to the issue on the Ang Ladlad, I would like to believe that the poll body got the flak from a good number of quarters. The issue is all over the place and you ought to know, otherwise, you must have over-extended your fishing expedition.
But then you can’t help it if people are homophobic. Do we blame it on their upbringing? Or maybe some unpleasant experience in the past. Or simply because they prefer to see gays as nothing but a bunch of noisy cross-dressing loonies. Suddenly I remember the Sabio and De Borja issue about two years ago.
Do you remember the CA investigating CA Justice Jose Sabio and businessman Francis De Borja? I forgot what the issue was about. Anyway, both had to be in one place. And then and there the word “dedma” was uttered by the justice, referring to the snobbery on the part of Mr. De Borja. I suppose the good justice said the word in jest so as to lighten up what was some kinda tense situation. Alas, came the news that his attention was called and that he was reprimanded for uttering the word.
Well, I did not take my time to listen to the reason as to why the justice was reprimanded. I suppose ‘twas for the plain and simple reason that it (the term “dedma”) is so gay, and thus it has no place in such an honorable place and for honorable people. Be that as it may, I believe that pink peso spenders are rejoicing! From gay lingo (or at least a word from its colorful collection of vocabulary) hitting the headlines; to having a chance to show strength in the coming polls. Now, another wish, if only shrieking gays can do way with the shrieking. (Smile! It’s a weekend!)
* * *
While we are into the pink world, I might as well leave you with something that’s not exactly pink. It’s the fight of the sexes again. Let me give you something I got from a fellow blogger. Let’s refer to it as something to make us smile as we end yet another week. Oops, let me warn you, it might be offending.
Male of Female: You might not have known this, but a lot of non-living objects are actually either male or female. Here are some examples:
- FREEZER BAGS: They are male, because they hold everything in, but you can see right through them.
- PHOTOCOPIERS: These are female, because once turned off, it takes a while to warm them up again. They are an effective reproductive device if the right buttons are pushed, but can also wreak havoc if you push the wrong buttons.
- TIRES: Tires are male, because they go bald easily and are often over-inflated.
- HOT AIR BALLOONS: Also a male object, because to get them to go anywhere, you have to light a fire under their bottom.
- SPONGES: These are female, because they are soft, squeezable and retain water!
- WEB PAGES: Female, because they're constantly being looked at and frequently getting hit on.
- TRAINS: Definitely male, because they always use the same old lines for picking up people.
- EGG TIMERS: Egg timers are female because, over time, all the weight shifts to the bottom.
- HAMMERS: Male, because in the last 5000 years, they've hardly changed at all, and are occasionally handy to have around.
- THE REMOTE CONTROL: Female. Ha! You probably thought it would be male, but consider this: it easily gives a man pleasure, he'd be lost without it, and while he doesn't always know which buttons to push, he just keeps trying.
* * *
Belated Birthday greetings. Fr. Toto Vivas and Mr. Vir Tomnob (January 25) and Fr. Intoy Piczon and Fr. Erwin Rodriguez (January 26).
* * *
This is it for now. Have a nice weekend everyone! Ciao!