Monday, January 11, 2010

My New Year’s Resolution (2)

(This column appears in today's edition of the Leyte-Samar Daily Express)

Hi there! It’s a new week. Bad habits die hard – it happened last week when I failed to do my column (again). What a way to start the year. So what’s with today’s title? Nothing really except that I forgot to mention in my column more than a week ago that I also intend to loose weight and trim a few inches from my waistline – two things which I have always wanted to do the past so many years.

My TV conked out and how am I coping? I ended playing CDs and for news, the old-fashioned newspaper. Surely nothing beats the feel (and smell) of newspaper paper (parang may redundancy sa last line ko.) Talking about the news, or the remnants of it. Two things stuck in my mind: Manny and Maguindanao; and the acerbic in me is getting restless. So the Manny and Mayweather fight is off? All those accusations because there will be no olympic-style (blood) testing for the Pacman? Some quarters were quick to say that that was due to some superstitious belief, and that needles make Manny uneasy. I’d like to comment on that but I’d rather not. Well, with the big bucks involved, surely those around the two fighters will do something about the fight of the century, bloody fight if I may add.

And the Maguindanao massacre. I thought I was not gonna give a comment about the issue, simply put it’s too gruesome for me. That is until the CHR slammed journalists for attacking Andal Ampatuan, Jr. It’s not that I do not like the CHR Chairperson, I am one of her fans (clearly she has the brains, I admire her for that, and her accent too). But I would like to share with you what I got from a fellow blogger (www.heavenpurgatoryandhell.blogspot.com): “CHR slams journalists for attack - Innocent until proven guilty. That's what Leila de Lima, chair, Commission on Human Rights said regarding the unruly behavior of the journalists towards Andal Ampatuan, Jr last week. According to her, even suspected mass murderers have rights, too. De Lima wants the journalists investigated. Come on...they're just venting out their anger. Even ordinary people have feelings too. You need to make them grieve and express their anger. It's human nature to do so. We go through stages of anger, depression, bargaining, before acceptance. No matter how trivial or tragic the event, it is a human process we go through. I guess next time, _______. (I had to delete the last line, I understand my editor’s will not allow it for my column, you may check this link)

* * *

Let me give you the second part of that money management stuff I left you with two Fridays ago. It’s an article written by Ann-Marie Murphy for Quizzle.com. Why should I take time to have it in my column? It has something to do with money, managing it, that is – something I definitely need for 2010 and beyond.

Making a decision to change is just the first step, however. If you want to see results, you have to know what moves to make to ensure those changes actually happen. After all, saying, “I’d like to lose 10 pounds,” doesn’t mean much if you don’t learn how to eat healthier and establish a new workout routine.

As part of your planning for 2010, consider taking action to improve your personal finances. With the economy beginning to regain its footing, there's no time like the present to add some dollars to your bottom line. To get started, here are 10 goals for 2010, plus tips on how to achieve them:

5. Improve your credit score. If you’re managing your credit properly (see #4), you’ll know whether you could stand to improve your credit score. It’s important to make strides to improve your credit score before you need to, because boosting your score takes time.

6) Pay yourself first. Save, save, save! Paying yourself first simply means that you need to save before you spend. The best way to do this is by setting up direct deposit from your paycheck into a savings account — whether it be plain vanilla savings or a CD. By making it automatic, you remove the temptation to spend.

7) Save more. Let’s say you’re putting $200 per paycheck toward your savings. Great work! Now, find a way to increase your savings contribution to $300 per paycheck. Cut unnecessary expenses. Look for bargains on big-ticket items that you need. Sell the clothes you’ve been storing in your attic on eBay. You can find (legitimate) ways to save more if you look for them.

8) Save for retirement. Here’s another case where direct deposit makes it easy and painless to save for your future. And if you’re lucky enough to work for a company that matches your retirement contributions, take advantage to the max! If you don’t, you’re basically saying no to free money.

9) Get the right insurance. For instance, if you have kids, life insurance is important. However, if you don’t have anyone who relies on you to support them financially, there’s no need to spend your hard-earned money on a life insurance policy just yet.

10) Protect your identity. Don’t leave yourself open to identity theft. Monitor your credit on a regular basis and check your other financial accounts to make sure they look the way they’re supposed to look. Need help? Look into identity protection services on the web and get the pros to watch your back.

* * *

Wedding Bells. Basilio Villanueva and Leda Testor got married last Saturday. Their wedding mass was held at the Sts. Peter and Paul Cathedral with Fr. Armando Cagomoc as mass presider. Concelebrating with him are Fr. Pedro Peñaranda, Fr. Lito Capeding, Fr. Tito Voz and Fr. Bartolome Dumalag. The reception was at the Cardinal Rosales Hall of the Centennial Pastoral Center.

Larry Jumaday and Glady Galamiton got married last Wednesday. Their wedding mass and reception were held at the Centennial Pastoral Center.

* * *

Onstage tonight at the Oquendo Park: The Search for Ms. Hibatang 2010. The pageant is part of the Santo Niño de Hibatang Festival which is being held in line with the 125th Fiesta celebration of Oquendo.

* * *

This is it for now. Have a nice week everyone! Ciao!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Touch a blogger: Tie a yellow ribbon for Cory Aquino!

Followers