Monday, February 14, 2011

That day of the year

(This column appears in today's edition of the Leyte-Samar Daily Express)

Hi there! Happy Valentines’ Day everyone! Oops, I can’t believe it, I just wished you to be happy on this day of days, I mean that day of the year which I was never comfy with. Anyway, it’s another week and I understand PNoy recently did an EO which had to do about implementing a total log ban in the country. Like total log ban? It can be done, or so said some quarters. Just wondering, what’s the government’s definition of log ban? I’ve have been hearing that term since the moment I can spell the words “log” and “ban”. So, total log ban in the Philippines? Yeah right! My apologies PNoy, but you’re still my President though.

* * *

So, what’s with today’s title? I am once giving my annual lamentation about Valentine’s Day which happens today. Yup, it’s that day of the year again. Last year, aside from the day falling on Chinese New Year’s day, it was made memorable by the now (in)famous distribution of condoms by the DOH (I think I’d prefer the condoms to Valentines’ day itself but, as one iced tea AD had it, that’s another issue).

Needless to say, the flower vendors, cake shops and yes, count in the telcos too (you know the countless happy-valentines-day-i-love-you text messages), all of them will make a killing today. It’s all over the news. And let’s not even start discussing the fancy dinners, the hotel room promos, etc. There will be so much demand for everything about love, so the “love” providers had to jack up the prices. Well, it’s not highway robbery, is it?

So what the big fuzz about V-Day? Surely we have the U.S. capitalists to thank for. You know, the way they promoted the other significant (kunu) celebrations like fathers’ day and mothers’ day. And I’m wondering why Pinoys have not caught with their American bros’ celebrations of grandparents’ day, secretaries day. And let’s count in veterans’ day too. Last year some supermarkets raked it in selling turkeys by needless to say, riding on Thanksgiving Day (of the US of A).

Back to V-Day. I’ve said this line for the past so many years and I’m saying it again: What is it about that day of the year that if you are not into it, they call you frigid; and if you are into it, you are a hopeless romantic. Ah, es la vida.

* * *

A tale of two Congressmen (I got this somewhere in the net. My apologies I forgot to take note of the site’s name).

In the U.S.. The congressman of the 26th District of New York, Christopher Lee, resigned from his seat at the House of Representative on Wednesday after his shirtless photo was posted on the internet.

Reports emerged saying that the Republican representative who’s married and has a child was flirting via email to a woman he met in Craiglist and he even sent a photo of him who’s wearing no-shirt.

The story of the congressman and the Craiglist woman was posted on the Gawker (site). It was noted that a woman put an ad in the “Women for Men” section of the Craiglist on January 14. Then by afternoon, Christopher Lee replied to the ad using his gmail.com email. On the exchange of email, Mr. Lee simply lied by telling the woman that he was divorced and was on his way to cheat his wife. The congressman’s picture was all over the news.

In the Philippines. A congressman from the Philippines caught possessing illegal drug and pleaded guilty on his crime, and even confessed to the court that he’s an addict of the illegal substance, yet he has not resigned from his seat at the House of Representative of the Philippines.

What do you think?

* * *

This is it for now. Have a great week ahead! Ciao!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Touch a blogger: Tie a yellow ribbon for Cory Aquino!

Followers