Friday, May 14, 2010

concession and endorsement

(This column appears in today's edition of the Leyte-Samar Daily Express)

Hi there! It’s another weekend. So the election came and went. Needless to say, each of us has his own story to tell about the experience of voting in the automated elections. I think I was kinda lucky, I stood in line at exactly 12:55 pm, I was out of the voting precinct at 3:30 pm. Some friends of mine were able to cast their votes around midnight. One thing though, reading the words congratulations being flashed by the pcos machine brought some relief it made me forget the hours I spent waiting for my turn to vote. And the fast results? I thought I was watching elections from another country, you know like the U.S. elections. Yes, there were complaints, but I guess we have to consider these as birth pains. After all, it was a first in our history. Now, as to vote-buying, troubles in some precincts, and election protests, well, this is the Philippines, the automated polls notwithstanding.

* * *

Talking about first time. I agree with some TV anchors when they said that this is the first time that we hear concessions or the word concede. And concede some of the candidates did. First there was Manny V., and soon JC, Gibo and Gordon followed suit. Oh yes, how can we miss Loren (dramatics and all) and Jun Yasay too. Forget about Edu, I don’t like him. So, is it safe to say that along with the new method of voting is the new breed of politicians? I mean some of the presidentiables and some local politicos who are into conceding being the name of the game.

But oops, a line which said something like I will not concede was supposedly uttered by Erap. And count in Nicanor Perlas too. Oh well, I’d like to say something, but let me simply say Duh!

* * *

And yes, that thing about endorsements. I am no social scientist but a good number of them (the social scientists) agree that the INC endorsement helped Noynoy. I think I have to put it there. Just curious, why can’t the Catholic Church do something akin to that. Oops, I thought I said I’ll put it there in my earlier line.

Now, let’s pan our sights to the other endorsers. I think the guy in colorful suits played safe by not endorsing any particular presidentiable. But then again his group did come out with a poll showing Erap topping ‘em all. Well, at least for his (the colorful endorser’s) handkerchief waiving flocks.

Anyway, I’m particularly interested about Pastor Quiboloy. I’m wondering how his “god” is doing. And let’s not even start discussing about his god’s tarnished image after giving the good pastor that dream. What happened to that dream? You know that one about Obama and Gibo. Maybe the pastor got to excited he woke up immediately. I think there was supposed to be some more visions in it. Like maybe tita Cory, or Ninoy being part of the cast, err dream. Oh well, there will be other elections and more dreams in a few years’ time.

* * *

Before the elections, billboards were everywhere. These were the ones which contained the 10 Commandment for Responsible Voting from the PPCRV.

  1. Thou shalt vote according to the dictate of your conscience.
  2. Thou shalt respect the decision of others in choosing their candidates.
  3. Thou shalt seek to know the moral dignity, capabilities and other personal qualities of the candidate you will vote for.
  4. Thou shalt strive to understand the issues, platform and programs of candidates and parties seeking your vote.
  5. Thou shalt not sell your vote.
  6. Thou shalt not vote for candidates using guns, goons, and gold.
  7. Thou shalt not vote for candidates with records of graft and corruption, and human rights violation.
  8. Thou shalt not vote for candidates just because of utang na loob, personal appearance, popularity or pakikisama.
  9. Thou shalt not vote for candidates living an immoral life.
  10. Thou shalt not put the welfare of the country above all else in choosing the candidate you will vote for.

And my take on the commandments? I’m just curious which of the above-mentioned commandments did many of us (myself included) violate during the last poll? Needless to mention the penetensya for the violation. Smile! It’s a weekend!

* * *

Obituary. (Tita) Celda Ladrero returned to her creator last Wednesday, May 12, 2010. She was 64. Interment will be on Tuesday, May 18, 2010

* * *

Sarah Geronimo in Live in Calbayog! Great Times Events and Tours owner and manager Salve Uyloan recently signed a contract with Mr. Vic Del Rosario of VIVA Records. This is for the concert of Sarah Geronimo slated on September 7, 2010 at the Calbayog City Sports Center.

* * *

This is it for now. Have a nice weekend everyone! Ciao!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Touch a blogger: Tie a yellow ribbon for Cory Aquino!

Followers