Monday, November 23, 2009

Charity or Pride?

(This column appears in today's edition of the Leyte-Samar Daily Express)

Hi there! It’s another week. So sorry to miss you the past so many. Well, blame it on the easiest excuse there is – busy. I think after the word love, busy is the most overused word in the world today. Anyway, so Manny is back. And each time Manny enters the ring, it’s the artist who does the national anthem than I am waiting for. I still have to hear what the NHI has to say about the performance of the trio.

Back to Manny, poor Manny, forget about the Order of Sikatuna, (see video below)


(For the latest Philippine news stories and videos, visit GMANews.TV )

... it’s the taxman who was in the news recently; and that it’s gonna be windfall for his (the taxman’s) agency. Which brings me to the local stores in Cabayog. One reason why I opt to do groceries at Mercury and Rose is that regardless of the amount you pay and the line which you are in, you get to receive an official receipt. They do issues receipts in the other stores, but that is another story, correct me if I’m wrong, it’s either you get what is called the factora, or in a bigger grocery store, you do get a machine printed receipt but I doubt if it’s official because they have a special lane for those who would like to get an official receipt, and the experience (in that line) is not so encouraging. Anyway, why am I saying this. Well, it’s not only the fix-income earners (like an ordinary employee like me) and count in Manny too, who are supposed to pay real, exact, correct and proper (?) taxes.

And what’s with today’s title? That’s the line that came to mind after hearing a sermon during Charity Sunday (I guess that was the Sunday before last). I think we all know what charity is (I suppose so anyway). And if I may repeat an earlier line, after love and busy, maybe charity is another overused word there is. Forget about ladies in Calbayog whose organization has to do with charity and how some of these ladies locked horns with one of the pastors, that’s another story which I don’t intend to elaborate, sayang ang effort (at ang editorial space).

So what about charity? Suddenly I’m reminded of my history lesson and the debate on some matters of faith between the Protestants (reformists) and Catholics. For the former faith is enough; for the latter, it’s faith and good works, charity included. I dunnow who won in that debate, but both sides have survived through the years. Yes, we need to be charitable to our fellowmen and yes, to our church. If there is one thing I noticed about how financial wiz do their stuff on TV, it’s that a good number of them mentioned about setting a part of one’s income for tithe, or charity, or good deeds to our fellowmen.

Suddenly, I see the beggars and the streetchildren all over the place. Do the money we give them make us charitable? I forgot who said this - that our less privileged brothers are there for the privileged members of society to be charitable; or to give them the chance to do charitable works. I would like to agree with that, but it makes me uneasy to be giving out to children begging with their parents or some older person guiding them along the way; or giving to beggars who are able-bodied and could earn their keep by doing laundry, gardening or carpentry work; or to beggars who come in groups (in season) like the Badjaos who unconfirmed reports say that were brought to various places in the region by van (that certainly blew me away); or those solicitors who make it a point to get solicitation permit and go around the city on certain periods every month.

Whatever is your take on it, I respect it. But each time the word charity becomes the subject of the discussion (and I’m not referring to how a priest castigated some ladies in a sermon saying that charity and bad talk don’t go together), I am reminded of a sociologist who commented about people who are into works or deeds of charity. Is it because that person is really charitable? Or is that because he has the capability to be charitable? Nice point over there. And I got that line many years ago. Recent experiences made me ask a similar question: Charity or Pride?

* * *

Belated birthday greetings: My mom Vic Ladrero-Ricafort turned a year older last November 17; and Mrs. Isabel Gomez-Hernandez turned 103 years old last November 19.

Congratulations to teacher Rolando “Rez” Saplad, Jr. He passed the recent board exam for teachers.

* * *

This is it for now. Let me give you something to smile about this week. It’s something I got via email; and it’s some sort of a reminder for us believers in God to be aware of our obligation (and if I may add, should it regardless of the kind of pastor we have in our parish?) Don't Wait 'til the hearse hauls you to Church, if you do:

  1. You will go regardless of the weather.
  2. You will go regardless of how your family feels.
  3. You will go regardless of the condition of your body.
  4. You will have beautiful flowers but you won’t enjoy them.
  5. Regardless of how good the singing, you won’t enjoy it.
  6. Regardless of what the minister may say it will do you no good.
  7. You will go to the altar but you will not pray.
  8. You may have a great need but no one will be able to help you.
  9. You will never be able to attend church again.
  10. There will be relatives and friends there but you will not worship with them.
  11. You will go regardless of how many hypocrites are there.
  12. You will go regardless of how much you are needed at home or on your job.

The Pastor would rather help you now than try to console your loved ones if you die without God. So make it your choice to go to church while you have a choice.

* * *

Have a nice week everyone! Ciao!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Touch a blogger: Tie a yellow ribbon for Cory Aquino!

Followers